Memorial at the Former Synagogue Site

The last synagogue in Gunzenhausen was looted and vandalized during Kristallnacht on November 9, 1938. A week later, its two tower domes were demolished, and the building was subsequently used for various purposes.

Among the stolen ritual objects was a precious Torah shield, which the Dottenheimer family had donated to the synagogue. Decades later, it was given to the Jewish Museum in Fürth by a man. Bernhard Purin, the museum's director, traced the shield's origin and owner, located the Dottheim Brooks family in the USA, and returned the valuable object to them. The rediscovered owners make this heirloom available to museums throughout Germany as an exhibit, including the museum in Gunzenhausen.

After the war, the IRSO (Israelitische Religionsgesellschaft Oberbayern – Upper Bavaria Regional Religion Society) offered the synagogue and grounds for sale. The entrepreneur Theodor Loos acquired it and, after extensive renovations, used it as a factory building for decades.

In 1981, the disused factory building reverted to municipal ownership and was demolished. The former Jewish schoolhouse, which also stood on the site, was demolished as well. The Jewish Community of Bavaria had given its consent, since no Jews still lived there.

Mayor Willy Hilpert had some of the stones and window friezes from both buildings salvaged and preserved.

Once the new development with underground parking, shops, and apartments was completed, Mr. Hilpert had a memorial plaque installed to commemorate this important site for the Jewish community. The plaque's frame consists of a window frieze from the former school. It tells the story of the building.

IN MEMORY OF THE SYNAGOGUE AND SCHOOL OF THE FORMER ISRAELI CONGREGATION OF GUNZENHAUSEN.

AFTER THE SO-CALLED KRISTALLNACHT IN THE YEAR 1938 THE CUPOLA OF THE EAST TOWER WAS TOPPLED AND THE BUILDING WAS THEN USED IN A PROFANE MANNER.

THE ISRAELI CONGREGATION OF GUNZENHAUSEN WAS FORCED TO TRANSFER THE OWNERSHIP OF THE SYNAGOGUE AND SCHOOL TO THE CITY FOR POLITICAL REASONS.

FROM 1942 TO 1945 FRENCH PRISONERS OF WAR WERE HOUSED IN THE FORMER SYNAGOGUE FROM 1947 TO 1949 IT SERVED AS A STORE AND FROM 1953 TO 1980 IT WAS A WORKSHOP.

THE FORMER SCHOOL WAS USED AS A RESIDENCE TILL 1969, AND FROM 1969 TO 1980 AS AN OFFICE BUILDING.

DEMOLITION AND NEW CONSTRUCTION WERE DONE IN 1981.

 

Further interesting information about the synagogue can be found at this link https://jl-gunzenhausen.de/en/synagoge.html